Saturday, September 12, 2009

I Found A New Starbucks Flavor!

I've just found/invented the best new coffee flavoring for the cold weather season, the Hot Buttered Rum Cafe. So yummy! Add a tablespoon of hot buttered rum mix to your coffee plus (optional for morning) a little bit of rum (or whiskey) and poof, you've got a gourmet drink!

Of course there is the slight issue that most hot buttered rum mix you buy in the stores sucks, and also the slight detail that I prefer my hot buttered rum with a sweet whiskey instead of rum. In order to solve this conundrum I will provide you with my hot buttered rum recipe which, rumor has it, was coerced out of a soux chef for a fancy hotel by one of my aunts and passed around the family. It doesn't taste like other hot buttered rums... its SOOOO much yummier!

This recipe makes enough hot buttered rum mix to last two people through a winter if they are drinking hot buttered rums often. If not drunk often, this is years worth of batter or a good amount to put in containers and give away as Christmas gifts. If you just want to try a small amount, 1/8 of a recipe is a good idea. Nothing about these ingredients is healthy, but combined (and in small amounts) it is so yummy!

Recipe:

1 quart ice cream
1 box brown sugar
1 box powdered sugar
1 lb of butter
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla

I find it best to soften the butter, cream it with the sugars and spices, and then mix in some slightly softened ice cream. Store in a Tupperware container in the fridge or freezer.

For a hot buttered rum, put 1-2 Tbsp mix in the bottom of a mug and add boiling water, leaving room at the top. Stir until dissolved then add a shot or two of rum or whiskey. A sweet whiskey, like Crown Royal, is what I prefer. Also, if you have fresh ground nutmeg, its excellent to grind a dash of that on top!

I'm thinking of submitting this idea to Starbucks. It definitely beats the pants off of the eggnog latte!

More about my projects later. The brief rundown: I'm in the midst of sanding the paint/finish off of an antique dresser, I just purchased a dress form because designing a 'Goddess' dress (see previous post) isn't working by pinning around my own body, I've got more sewing to do on the practice wedding dress, and I'm in the middle of a necklace design. Too much stuff at once, I know, but I'll post some pictures soon :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment